Teaching With Questions
Questions comprise a key component of effective teaching. You should plan key questions to provide the skeleton of the lesson. Spontaneous questions can be good, but the overall direction of the discussion should be deliberate. Here are some tips* for crafting helpful questions:
● Phrase the questions clearly and specifically.
● Avoid vague and ambiguous questions.
● Adapt questions to the level of the students’ abilities.
● Ask questions logically and sequentially.
● Ask questions at various levels.
● Follow up on students’ responses.
*As quoted at honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/teachtip/effquest.htm