Jennifer Wolf at www.about.com shares these tips on how to teach gratitude and appreciation:
1. Keep a gratitude journal. Write down five things each day for which you’re grateful.
2. Express your thanks out loud. It’s helpful to have each person in your youth group share something verbally that they appreciate.
3. Write a letter of thanks. Don’t keep your gratitude to yourself! When you feel thankful for certain people in your life, be bold enough to put it in a letter.
4. Be grateful for the challenging times, too. Share with your youth group some of the challenging times you’ve gone through in life that you are grateful for now.
5. Make it a habit. Learning to be truly grateful can change your life. One way to continue a new “attitude of gratitude” is to create a habit around your thankfulness.